Section 153(I)d of the 1999 Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, Part I(d) paragraph II of the third Schedule established the functions of the Federal Civil Service Commission as: -
- to appoint persons to offices in the Federal/State Civil Services and
- to dismiss and exercise disciplinary control over persons holding such offices.
- to appoint qualified candidates to man the different Ministries/Extra-Ministerial Departments in the Federal Civil Service.
- to ensure that such appointments maintain/represent the Federal character of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
- to make recommendations to the Federal Government on Personnel policies aimed at improving the effectiveness and efficiency of the Federal Civil Service.
- to ensure that Personnel decisions are taken objectively, promptly and competently in accordance with the policies and interest of the Federal Government.